RTI-HS Experts Lend Their Expertise to ISPOR Utilities Task Force Report
Our scientists—along with leading researchers from Europe, the US, Canada, and Australia—were part of an ISPOR task force that addressed optimum methods for collecting and analysing health state utility data in clinical studies. Sorrel Wolowacz co-chaired the task force, and Lynda Doward was a member of the task force leadership group. Read more about the report.
Health utility estimates provide a representation of strength of preference for a given health-related outcome such as a health state event or treatment side-effect. Utility scores are used in health economic models (for example, to calculate quality-adjusted life years [QALYs] in cost-effectiveness analyses) or other evaluations for health care interventions. They allow regulators, payers, and other stakeholders to incorporate the perceived value of a given health benefit into decisions regarding allocation of health care resources. For pharmaceutical companies, identifying and estimating appropriate health state utility values is a vital part of demonstrating a product’s value.
We can help you evaluate your needs for utility assessment, and provide integrated solutions to identify, develop, and disseminate the utility data needed to achieve your product development and market access objectives.
Our integrated team of experts can help guide you with the selection of a utility instrument and design of utility data collection in trials and observational studies to optimize the data for your reimbursement submissions. We keep up-to-date on HTA authorities' guidelines on methods for measurement of health utilities to provide you with expedient advice. You can download a copy of our summary here.
We can help you:
|Strategy and Consulting||- Review and determine whether existing utility estimates are suitable
- Select an instrument or determine if a new one is needed
- Plan for the collection of utility data within a clinical trial and product R&D program
|Measurement||- Develop new instruments
- Collect and analyze primary utility data during clinical trials through protocol development, statistical analysis plans, analyses, and reporting
- Perform stand-alone observational studies designed to derive utility data using a health preference measure (such as EQ-5D)
- Perform mapping to derive EQ-5D utility estimates from a disease-specific measure
- Develop a health preference index from a disease-specific PRO instrument
- Conduct health preference assessments using conjoint analysis and discrete choice experiments;
- Perform health state valuation studies using time-tradeoff and standard gamble
- Capture utility data real-time, as events occur, via mobile technology solutions (e.g., smartphone applications)
|Implementation||- Incorporate health state utility values in economic models, HTA submissions (meeting the requirements of agencies such as NICE, SMC, CDR, and PBAC), value messaging, and publications|
A Team Approach
Let our multidisciplinary team help you generate the health state utilities you need to differentiate your product beyond its safety and efficacy profiles. We combine the measurement expertise and applied HTA knowledge of our experts in health economic modelling, patient-centered outcomes assessment, psychometrics, cognitive testing, instrument development, conjoint analysis, survey research, biostatistics, market access value messaging, and publication strategy.