Jia X, Zhao Y, Carrico J, Brodtkorb TH, Mendelsohn A, Lowry S, Feldman S, Wu JJ, Armstrong A. Cost-effectiveness analysis of tildrakizumab in patients with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis in the United States. Poster presented at the 2018 Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) Nexus Conference; October 24, 2018. Orlando, FL. [abstract] J Manag Care Pharm. 2018 Oct; 24(10-a):S78.


BACKGROUND: Tildrakizumab, a high-affinity, humanized, IgG1 κ, anti-interleukin–23 monoclonal antibody, was recently approved in the United States (U.S.) to treat moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis, on the basis of two placebo-controlled, phase 3 studies with over 1,800 patients. This analysis is the first to examine tildrakizumab's cost-effectiveness compared to other treatments.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the comparative cost-effectiveness of tildrakizumab and other targeted immunomodulators (adalimumab, apremilast, brodalumab, etanercept, guselkumab, infliximab, ixekizumab, secukinumab, and ustekinumab) used as first-line targeted therapy for patients with moderate-to-severe psoriasis who have failed topical treatment, methotrexate, and phototherapy, from a U.S. health plan’s perspective.

METHODS: A 10-year Markov model, consisting of health states based on Psoriasis Area Severity Index (PASI) response rate categories (PASI 0-49, PASI 50-74, PASI 75-89, PASI 90-100) and death, was developed. Patients received one of the targeted treatments upon entry into the model. Nonresponders (patients with less than PASI 75 response) discontinued their current treatment with 25% received nontargeted treatment (NTT; topical therapy, phototherapy, or other systemic therapy) until the end of the 10 years or death and the remaining 75% received a second-line targeted treatment before receiving NTT. The probabilities of achieving PASI responses were derived from a network meta-analysis based on published clinical trial data. Health care costs consisted of drug acquisition and administration, laboratory tests, and clinical visits. PASI response categories were used to estimate each patient’s quality-adjusted life-years (QALYs).

RESULTS: Over 10 years, the incremental cost per QALY of the targeted treatments compared with NTT was $168,285 for brodalumab, $179,785 for infliximab, $221,214 for apremilast, $237,025 for tildrakizumab, $238,539 for secukinumab, $258,084 for guselkumab, $260,574 for ixekizumab, $266,374 for adalimumab, $267,307 for ustekinumab, and $292,273 for etanercept. The position of tildrakizumab relative to the other targeted treatments remained the same across multiple scenarios.

CONCLUSIONS: First-line targeted treatment with tildrakizumab is among the most cost-effective options compared to NTT and is more cost-effective than treatment with guselkumab, secukinumab, ixekizumab, ustekinumab, adalimumab, or etanercept.

SPONSORSHIP: Sun Pharmaceutical Industries.

Share on: